Sacramental preparation for First Reconciliation occurs during 2nd grade. Your family must be enrolled in the Family of Faith program and regularly attending the twice-monthly meetings. For more information on the Family of Faith program, click here. Children and their parents must also attend the First Reconciliation Sacramental Preparation Workshop.
Your child’s formation for First Reconciliation is based on your family’s active participation in the Catholic faith. Canon Law #1653 states that the parents are the primary educators of their children’s faith. Receiving the Sacrament of First Reconciliation is not just a cultural or traditional rite of passage that Catholics do just because they are Catholic. Rather, this Sacrament is a powerful, grace-filled experience that provides us with the necessary spiritual energy to fuel our Christian pilgrimage on Earth. The Sacrament impels us, through grace, to further our commitment to Christ. Your desire to prepare your child for the reception of this Sacrament confirms you are committed to your Catholic faith.
Parents are highly encouraged to follow some basic guidelines to ensure their children are prepared; some helpful hints in making your child’s preparation more meaningful:
- Attend Mass regularly
- Arrive to Mass on time
- Sit up front
- Pray and sing with the congregation
- Receive Communion regularly
- Discuss the weekly readings with your child
- Discuss the Homily with your child after Mass
- Go to Reconciliation
- Model forgiveness at home
- Model an active faith through community involvement and service to others
- Learn about and practice the Ten Commandments
The requirements for a successful completion of the First Reconciliation Sacramental Preparation program at Christ the King:
- 2nd graders; 7 years of age
- Baptized in the Christian faith
- Enrollment and regular attendance in the Family of Faith program
- Family of Faith discussions and activities at home, prior to Family/Community Meeting
- Mandatory attendance at the First Reconciliation Workshop
- Parental participation at the workshop
To enroll in the program, please complete a registration form, which is located throughout the church, or click HERE.